× close

A History of Harlow

Harlow is one the original News Towns, designated in 1947. It was designed by architect Sir Frederick Gibberd to ease overcrowding in London.

The town was split into neighbourhoods separated by green open spaces and with each having their own shopping precincts, facilities and pub. Two large industrial estates were also included in the north and west of the town.

 Harlow’s railway station was built in 1841. New roads were built in 1948 and old roads turned into cycle paths, which connect all areas of the town to the town centre and industrial areas.

 Industrial development progressed alongside house building with Templefields opening in 1950 and The Pinnacles in 1956. The first manufacturing in The Pinnacles was a co-op biscuit factory.

 In 1960 Burnt Mill station closed to make way for a new larger station,  Harlow Town Station.

 Fibre optic communications, a predecessor for broadband internet, was born in Harlow invested by Sir Charles Kao and George Hockham.

 Harlow drove the idea of an Industrial Health Service where nurses would visit factories and businesses to monitor the health of the labour force.